Orthotics can help correct many different types of foot problems. The doctors at Total Foot Care & Wellness Clinic can prescribe custom orthotics for patients in one of our three locations in Jacksonville, Florida.
What are Orthotic Inserts?
Orthotics are special inserts made to specifically fit the unique shape of your foot. They are used to correct foot conditions such as flat arches and foot and leg pain, cushion your feet, and provide comfort and support.
The most common types of shoe inserts are:
- Arch supports – designed to support the foot’s natural arch.
- Insoles – made of gel, foam, or plastic and slide inside the shoe to provide extra cushioning and support.
- Heel liners/heel cups – provide extra cushioning in the heel region.
What are Prescription Custom Orthotics?
Unlike over-the-counter orthotics that are one-size fits all, prescription orthotics are specially crafted for you and your needs. They are designed to match the contours of your feet and the precise way that you move. Orthotics are only manufactured after a podiatrist has conducted a complete evaluation of your feet, ankles, and legs, so the orthotic can accommodate your unique foot structure and pathology.
Prescription orthotics are divided into two categories:
- Functional orthotics – crafted of semi-rigid material like plastic or graphite. They are designed to control foot pain caused by abnormal motion and can also be used to treat injuries such as shin splints or tendonitis.
- Accommodative orthotics – these orthotics are softer and meant to provide additional cushioning and support. They can be used to treat diabetic foot ulcers, painful calluses on the bottom of the foot, and other uncomfortable conditions.
Why Should I See a Podiatrist for Orthotics?
Podiatrists use orthotics to treat a variety of foot problems. They examine your feet and gait to evaluate how you stand and move. This will help the podiatrist design custom inserts that meet your unique specifications. Podiatrist-prescribed foot orthotics decrease foot pain and improve function. Total Foot Care & Wellness Clinic offers custom-made shoe inserts to help conservatively foot conditions found in both children and adults.